The Vice Chancellors’ Committee meeting was held at the Commission Secretariat on Monday. The meeting was chaired by Dr. Masoom Yasinzai, Chairman, Vice Chancellors’ Committee and attended by over 65 Vice Chancellors from all over the country, mostly through video conference. The meeting adopted the following resolution in the light of public humiliation of Dr. Mujahid Kamran, Dr. Akram Chaudhary and five officers by NAB officials for appearance in Court last week:
- We, the Vice Chancellors, condemn the maltreatment and public humiliation of respectable professors and teachers.
- We strongly condemn the media trial of teachers before prosecution or legal procedure
III. We appreciate Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Pakistan for suo moto notice, however a mere apology is not sufficient in the face of humiliation suffered by senior academicians.
- We call upon Chairman National Accountability Bureau (NAB) to conduct inquiry against the officials involved.
- We propose holding of a meeting between Chairman HEC and Chairman NAB along with a select group of Vice Chancellors to evolve procedures needed to be followed in such cases.
- We make a commitment to the nation that we will act with integrity to serve youth of the nation and will work to strengthen our internal systems so that all endeavors are transparent and beyond question.
VII. We support the HEC and stand by it in its endeavors to enhance quality, access and relevance.
VIII. Universities face multiple problems due to external interference. We urge the Government to ensure university autonomy by stopping the external interference.